College Bound

When your child reaches the age of 18, you as a parent no longer have the power to access that child's important medical or financial information. Your child may celebrate this newfound privacy; however, there are common circumstances where you would both benefit from signing a power of attorney agreement. Our Manchester law firm at Craig, Deachman & Associates PLLC, can help you secure important legal documents for college-bound students.

  • My kid is in the hospital. Why won't they tell me anything? If your child gets hurt at home or while away at college and is over the age of 18, privacy laws prevent medical staff from sharing this confidential medical information. If you have medical power of attorney, you can get the information you need about your child's condition and have a say in his or her treatment decisions.
  • Can I appear in court on behalf of my child? If your child is over the age of 18 and has unresolved legal issues at home, you cannot act on his or her behalf unless you have power of attorney. Getting this simple document may prevent your child from having to make a special trip home.
  • My child is studying abroad and is having passport issues. Can I help? Without the proper legal documentation, you have no power to help your child if passport or other legal issues arise.
  • Why can't I see my kid's grades? I'm paying for college. It doesn't matter who is paying for college. After your child reaches age 18, that information is private, unless you have certain documents in place.

Simple Documents That Make Your Life Easier

Power of attorney is probably the last thing on your mind if your child is headed off to college. But it will be the first thing on your mind if your child encounters medical, legal or financial trouble and you want to help. Either our firm or our associated New Hampshire law firm Legacy Trust & Wills can help you get these documents in place so you can send your child to school with peace of mind.

Call Today To Protect Your Family

You don't want to get caught scrambling after the fact when your child is in trouble. Get your paperwork in place before your child leaves for college. We can help guide you through the entire process. Contact a New Hampshire lawyer toll free at 844-400-3796 or locally at 603-374-7323, or use our email form.